background

Friday, October 9, 2009

Our HOME-School




The last year has been a journey for me as I have contemplated and studied homeschooling my kids. We took the plunge and I am so grateful we choose to dive in. It was not a decision we made lightly. The three main reasons are:
1. History is rarely taught in the public schools and the famous quote goes something like, "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it."
2. I want me kids to learn how to educate themselves, not spoon fed knowledge. The future generations must know how to be critical thinkers.
3. I tired of the useless worksheets etc. We can spend our time on a subject- if we wish to move on we can. If we want to dig deeper we can.
There is a small reason why. So here is a sampling of our homeschool experience so far.
Why I love it-
I get to see my kids have those light bulb moments as they discover the world around them. Understanding fractions through following a recipe. Getting to see iron fillings separate from dirt with a magnet. Grasping a math concept. Teaching matter mixture by making hot cocoa. I love being able to quickly asses my kids weakness and strengths and where we need to improve. I get to have one on one time with my kids, I have noticed my relationships with my kids individually strengthened. My kids are becoming better friends with each other as they must be each others best friends. We memorize a scripture, quote, or poem every week. One of my favorites that led into an amazing discussion is from Moroni 7:13 "But, behold that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually. Wherefore, everything which inviteth and enticeth to do good and to love God, and to serve Him, is inspired of God."
We get to say the pledge and pray everyday as we start school. Plus I get to learn all the great things they are learning.
Why they love it-
Cool art projects.(Model clay, see pics above) Fun field trips. More time in the day to play with each other. They get to pick the books they read for fun. Hands on activities.
Field Trips-
*A group of homeschoolers had a small tour of the police station. Carter was handcuffed and Brinlie sat on a real policeman motorcycle. We saw where the 911 calls come it, and a real guy come out of the police station handcuffed and hauled off to the jail. The officer saw all these kids watching and said, "Don't be this guy!"
*The kids dug for clues in the Sand Dunes.(It was staged) As they found different items they had to put the pieces together of why these people let in such a hurry? How many were there? Were they kids or adults? It was delightful to see their excitement as they found items and then pieced clues together.
*Our friends hatched some chicks but several of the eggs did not. So the other mom cracked them open and we were able to see the dead chicks in many different stages from embryo to full grown. (Sorry for the gross pictures above)

It has been an adjustment as we learn how to work it best in our home for our situation. Many not as important things have been placed on the back burner. Learning how to say no to things because there is no longer time available. Busy Busy, but WELL WORTH IT! As a side note we are enrolled in an online school program called K12, that is through our public school. It helps- I do not have to come up with all the cirriculum and $ on my own.

Interested K12.com

1 comment:

Stephenie said...

So cool you did that. I have always wanted to home school my children for all the reasons you stated, plus a few more. I still am yet to get Evan on board with me, but maybe one day. I'd love to hear your progress.