background
Monday, October 20, 2008
Into the Deep Dark Cave
As part of our Family Fun Day Scott, Aaron, Brinlie, Carter, and I took an adventure down into a cave at Snow Canyon State Park. The first main cavitity we came to was very large and as we descended deeper it becomes darker. Aaron found a small opening and crawled back into the caves darkness and the rest of us soon followed. The pictures are all lit up thanks to the flash of the camera, but it was pitch black without the flashlights.
Aaron, our adventurer, found another small space that opened up into another large cavity. But his curiousity was not squelched and he continued to go farther and deeper into the cave. At this point Carter and I decided to stay behind while the other three continued farther down. In Aaron's words...
"We kept on going down, down...The rocks were kind of stable and when we reached the bottom you could see thousands and thousands of multi-colored lights. (glow stick remnants) There had been tons of people down in the cave. It almost looked like it was a glowing mine of crystals. And when you turned off the flashlights and threw a glowstick into the air it looked like a shooting star against the sky. It was scary if we turned off the flashlights. The bottom of the cave was larger than our house. People had ingraven their names and dates on the walls and rocks."
While the brave ones where exploring, Carter and I sat and waited...and waited. Carter expressed his desire to go home and I agreed silently. It is a wierd feeling to be in a pitch black cave under the ground where the air is stale and heavy. With thoughts of, "I could be crushed and killed any minute- would anyone ever find us?- Darylyn and Emma could be without a mom and dad." Nevertheless, it was a fun adventure and very interesting, I was proud of my fearless kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment